Check out our collection of museum events and news stories
- Stories of Subversion, Resistance, and Acceptance: Challenging Gender Stereotypes of the Classic Old West,” with Historian Peter Boag at the Union Pacific Railroad Museum
The Union Pacific Railroad Museum is hosting a lecture by historian Peter Boag on Saturday, October 12 at 1 p.m. entitled, "Stories of Subversion, Resistance, and Acceptance: Challenging Gender Stereotypes of the Classic Old West."
- Railroads in Native America: Reflections on the 150th Anniversary of the Transcontinental Construction
Railroads in Native America is a three-day symposium bringing together scholars, artists, musicians, tribal members and representatives from tribal governments, in partnership with the National Park Service, the Union Pacific Railroad Museum, and the University of Nebraska at Omaha.
- FREE Family Night at the Museum First Friday of Every Month
Create, learn, and play! Join us the first Friday of every month when we will be open 5:30-8pm for activities and fun.
- 2019 Museum Special Excursion
Union Pacific's newly restored Big Boy locomotive No. 4014 will pull a special fundraising excursion benefitting the Union Pacific Museum July 15, 2019. The train consisting of rare passenger cars will travel from Omaha, Nebraska, through western Iowa to Boone, where guests will disembark the train and luxury motor coach back to Omaha.
- Unveiling the Dragon Flag
On April 13 from 2-3pm join us for a Q&A about the rarely seen Dragon Flag from the museum's collection
- Union Pacific Railroad Museum Welcomes Speaker Walter Echo-Hawk, Author of Sea of Grass: A Family Tale from the American Heartland, Saturday Dec. 1
Walter Echo-Hawk (Pawnee) is a Native American speaker, author and attorney who works diligently to protect the legal, political, property, cultural and human rights of Native peoples all over the world.
- Winterfest at Bayliss Park!
Join us on November 15th 5:30-8:30 p.m for Winterfest at Bayliss Park!
- Union Pacific Museum's Gear Up For Winter Family Night November 2, 5-7p.m.
Information about November 2018 family night Gear Up For Winter
- Union Pacific Museum’s Fiesta! Family Night September 7, 5-7 p.m.
Create, learn and play at Union Pacific Museum’s monthly family night with Union Pacific’s Latino Employee Network (LEN) on Friday, Sept. 7.
- Cool off at the Museum Family Night!, August 3, 5-7 p.m.
Create, learn and play at Union Pacific Museum’s monthly family night on Aug. 3. This month we’re taking it easy and enjoying the cool indoors.
- Celebrate Summer at the Union Pacific Museum - July 6, 5-7 p.m.
Create, learn and play at Union Pacific Museum’s monthly family night celebrating all things summer on Friday, July 6.
- Family Night with the Omaha Storm Chasers! June 1, 5-7 p.m.
The Omaha Storm Chasers will host Union Pacific Museum’s June 1 family night and commemorate the proud history of baseball in the metro. Celebrating their 50th season in franchise history, the minor league team will wear five Flashback Jerseys throughout the 2018 campaign in honor of their longstanding heritage. These Flashback Jerseys will commemorate each of the organization’s five decades dating back to 1969. The Omaha Royals, Golden Spikes and Storm Chasers will all be represented over the course of the year.
- Train Excursion July 22, 2018
The Union Pacific Museum Association will host a special passenger trip on Union Pacific historic equipment July 22, from Denver, Colorado, to Cheyenne, Wyoming, pulled by the "Living Legend," steam locomotive, UP No. 844.
- Friday, May 4: Troops and Trains! (5-7 pm)
Interested in learning about the military and the railroad over the years? Join us to celebrate our seasonal exhibit opening at family night!
- The Union Pacific Museum's Top 5 Reasons to Give!
Are you on the fence about giving to the Union Pacific Museum? Here are some great tips to get you on your way!
- Friday, Apr. 6: Under the Big Top! Circus Night at the Museum (5-7 pm)
Join us for a fun circus-themed evening hosted by the Tangier Shrine! Other fun filled activites include circus-themed stories and a model circus train!
- Education's Top 5 Ways to Experience the Museum
For train lovers of all ages, here are some fun ways to interact with the museum!
- Friday, Mar. 2: Book it UP for March Madness! (5-7 pm)
Join us for a fun night celebrating reading and literacy hosted by Iowa Western Community College athletes!
- The Curator's Top 5 Things to See at the Union Pacific Museum
From train buffs to history-philes, from age 3 to 95, the Union Pacific Museum has a lot to offer, including some pretty special artifacts from our Nation's past!
- Saturday, Feb. 17: Celebrate Black History Month (1-3 p.m.)
The Union Pacific Railroad Museum is partnering with Union Pacific's Black Employee Network (BEN) to celebrate Black History Month. On Saturday, Feb. 17, from 1 to 3 p.m. visitors are invited to participate in a first-ever roundtable event with Union Pacific employees, who will discuss the cultural impact of black legends and leaders, the key to their success and icons who have inspired them.